Well friends, Knoxville Craft Beer Week (KCBW) is upon us again – from May 18th through the 26th. It is wild to think that KCBW has been around since 2012 with each year better than the last. We continue to add great beer and great events. Maybe it’s just me but I think the people in our community of craft beer are THE BEST! We are fortunate in SO many ways.
If you go out to Knoxvillebrewers.com you will find an impressive event list beginning on May 18th. You’ll also notice the Knoxville Area Brewer’s Association collaboration beer which is a historic lager meant to resemble what would’ve been found in good ole K-town in the late 1800s. This beer is meant to be a gentle nod to our forefathers in beer as also reflected in the photo recreation below. We’re looking forward to trying this beer!
Now, there’s a “gracious plenty” of things going on. While the what and where is up to you, we have a few suggestions to maximize the week:
- Make a plan: if you’re like me, you want to do everything but alas, only so many hours in the day. I’d also encourage you to check out a place in town you don’t normally frequent – it’s a great time to do so. Alternatively, for those fellow geeks out there, to quote Leonard Snart from the CW’s Arrowverse, “Make the plan, execute the plan, expect the plan to go off the rails… throw away the plan. ” Ha! I think we’ve all been there.
- Include others: While this probably goes without saying for many of you but this is an awesome time to suck some of your non-beer friends into the vortex that is the Knoxville Craft Beer Community. There are plenty of events that will appeal to a wide variety of folks. Who might you want to invite to join you?
- High Five’s All Around: those that make our local beer community turn have worked hard to make this week happen. Be sure to show ’em some love and appreciation while you’re with ’em.
- Take care of yo’self: First and foremost, be safe! Ride share, walk, rope in your friend who doesn’t mind being DD if you hook ’em up with tacos – win/win. Also, if you want to go all week, sleep, diet and exercise all are factors in the equation. Don’t forget our old friend H2O either.
- Giving is Rad: Note that Saturday, May 25th is Giving Saturday. Our community gives in spades and this lineup reflects it. Is there a charity here that speaks to you? This is also a good time to invoke B and C above.
- Compete: The week ends with a “Pint Wood” Derby on Sunday, May 26th. I am SUPER stoked about this. It’s not very often that adults get to compete in this and as I can tell you, it is super fun. You gotta plan ahead though and build your car. Last Days of Autumn is hosting a night where you can build one out and I expect there may be one more in process. Don and I will begin ours today!
Friends, regardless of whether you follow our suggestions above, we hope you enjoy this week and help us raise a glass to this awesome city and craft beer community that we love. Our sincerest thanks to everyone who made this week happen.
We look forward to seeing you all out there.